2017 Spring ISEED

2017 Spring ISEED
Training class at the IFI Office

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Make disciples that make disciples

In high school biology class, I learned that two types of animals are the same species only if their crossbreeds can reproduce by themselves. For example, donkeys and horses are different species because their offspring mules cannot reproduce anymore. Back then, I got a vague idea that if a species is to flourish, current generation need to not only reproduce the next generation, but also reproduce the next generation that can keep the reproduction going for the future.

As a corollary, recently in Perspectives class, I have been learning that as Jesus’s disciples, we need to make disciples that can make disciples, so that faith in Jesus can grow exponentially and be passed on to the future.

So far this semester, I have not connected much with my university friends and old small group members. But surprisingly, just as I was learning about making disciples that make disciples, two of my old small group members came to visit during Thanksgiving break, and one of them used to be in a discipleship with me. My old disciple found a job from Google, a position that almost all the new students I reach out to this semester eagerly wish to achieve. A typical student this semester would skip Bible studies to study for their courses at OSU. I thought my old disciple would be a good example of both a Christian and a technology expert. So I told my old friends beforehand to share how spending time with God doesn’t interference but improve academics and career, and then I arranged a meeting with my old friends and a new student. We chatted over dinner, and when a new student learned that me and my two old friends met through a Christian fellowship on campus, he had a pensive look on his face, as if living a Christian life could really be fruitful. Of course, faith in Jesus shouldn’t be treated a means to an end. The new student might not yet know how it feels to have a relationship with Jesus. I pray that he will keep getting Godly influence from those whose career he aspires to attain.


The event I just talked about does not sound like something very noteworthy, but to me, it was a vivid experience of seeing my old disciples making their own effort for the generation of Christians. I am deeply thankful for God arranging their visit to me and deeply proud of what they did here. Right now I want keep in touch with the two friends who just visited me and reconnect with some other people. I will update on the next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment