2017 Spring ISEED

2017 Spring ISEED
Training class at the IFI Office

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Let's talk about fear


Fear, an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat. 

It is unlikely that this is the emotion someone want to experience on a daily basis let alone let it take control over your life. Unfortunately, fear isn't uncommon. At least at some point in life, we all had fear towards an unknown future and the feeling that we have absolutely no control over the things that are right in front of our eyes.

I too had the fear of not being able to determine what's going to happen in my life and whether or not the things that I have planned will go the way I wanted them to. Especially a few months before I graduated from college, it was a time filled with uncertainty. I have my life all planned out but with reality, some of the things that I planned didn't seem to work out. The more I have to change my plans, the less confidence I had in myself. Instead, I stopped planning. Imagine the fear of not knowing what's coming next, and what to prepare. That was exactly how I was feeling back then. It also seemed like God was not giving me any directions either. I was left alone, completely. I was like a 5-year-old kid in a giant shopping mall alone, can't find my parents, don't know who to turn to, don't know which way is the way out.

The truth is, God never left me alone. He was watching over me, waiting for the perfect timing to drive all the fear away and put me back on the right track. That was exactly what He did. I heard about the ISEED program and was surprised at how well it fitted my situation and the desires that I had in my heart -- to grow in my faith and to try different things to figure out what my true passion is about. I was so amazed as how perfectly it worked out for me and all the amazing things that God has planned for me during this journey. I started to realize that, fear, is nothing but not having enough faith and confidence in God our Father. 

Now, I am faced with the same situation. Standing at the intersection, don't know where to go. Reality has hit me again. Changes in life and unexpected things were pulling me away from the "track". Faced with so many options and decisions, the same fear came creeping in. This time, I was waiting for God to direct me and once again tell me the plans that He has for me. 

Instead of opening a door for me, God closed a door to show me the direction. He pointed at that direction and said to me, "that's not where I want you to go." When an opportunity slipped away from you finger tip, the normal reaction would be either disappointed or sad. Well, that was not how I was feeling. I feel really relieved and the picture in my head actually became clearer. I knew that God was preparing something much better for me. As time goes on, the meetings with my career mentor, other people I encountered in my life all points me to pursuing a graduate degree in finance and to be a financial advisor serving multicultural communities. I felt that God was using people around me to tell me where to go. Once again, God took away the fear I had.

Now I have complete confidence in God and trust him in leading me in my life. Every time when fear tries to take control over my life, take control over my mind, God uses His way to pull me out of it and points me the way.

Perfect love drives out fear. God's love for us is perfect. There is no reason to be afraid of anything in life. Fear didn't help much in my life, if anything, it taught me to trust in God more and to rely on Him.


1 comment: