2017 Spring ISEED

2017 Spring ISEED
Training class at the IFI Office

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Search me Lord, and know my heart

           Last week, a student called Di mentioned to me a theory about 3 ways in which people acquire self-esteem. The first way is to compare with others.  If a person does better than others, the person gains self-esteem. The second way is to match the goals a person made for himself. If person can achieve his own goals, then he feels good about himself. The third type of people have a deep-rooted identity of who they are, and their self-esteem are not heavily influenced by comparison. And then Di commented: “maybe is third type is like because God so loved the world…” I agreed with what Di, thinking that the third type of people have solid identity as children of God, and therefore they don’t have to use ulterior means to validate themselves.

I told Di that I am a strong type II. I often set goals for myself, and strive to achieve them. I like myself a lot more or a lot less, depending on whether I can achieve my own goals or not. Recently, I have been working hard towards the goal of being able to climb all the routes in Ohio State University’s climbing gym. I started out with a firm belief that rock climbing was something God wanted me to do, because it was through many totally unexpected twists and turns that I got into rock climbing, which was also something I had been praying for to do over the long winter when I couldn’t do outdoor cycling. Rocking climbing also immediately gave me a Godly purpose, because of sheer difficulty gave me a strong sense of inadequacy. While I was trapped on the wall, not able to move any higher, and consumed by the fear of falling, I was praying for God to give me the courage and persistence, so that I wouldn’t give up unless I had tried my absolute best. I also remember the story in Exodus 17, which is about Joshua’s Israelites army were winning battles whenever Moses lifted his hand. I felt as a climber, I was like Joshua, because although I was winning some tough battles, it was God who fought for me. Without prayers on the wall, I could do little. Moreover, I even came across the verses of Psalm 94:18-19 : “When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your unfailing love, Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.” In rock climbing, if a person’s feet slip from the tiny footholds, he or she is almost likely going to fall off the wall. Anxiety of falling cripples a person from making bold, dynamic moves. Therefore, I was overjoyed to read these two verses, as if they were written for my rock climbing training.
But before I knew it, I started to train 3 hours a day, and sometimes more than 10 days in a row. Pains from my fingers and elbows gave me the first warning sign that I was training too much. When I looked deeper into my spiritual life, I realized my rock climbing started to lose the joy and patience, which are the fruits of the Spirit. I used to experience joy in the process, but now, unless I can climb the next hard route, I feel not joy, but great impatience, and disappointment with myself. Thanks to God, a mentor pointed out to me that Psalm 94 is not the only place that mentions “foot slipping”. Psalm 73 says that “But as for me, my feet had almost slipped:  I had nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” In my case, my feet were slipping because rock climbing was starting to become an idol for me in which I sought self-esteem through personal achievements. I was so performance-minded, that if I saw a climber worse than me, I would feel judgmental to him/her, and if I saw a climber better than me, I felt envious. What started with Godly intentions gradually turned into a barren place where myself was starting to replace God. But I’m grateful that God has revealed to me that in the deep recess of heart, I have been trying to earn the favor of myself and the favoring of God by achievement and performance. No matter how many stories of faithful men and women who chose to give up their promising careers to stay at home to take care of their children, or sick spouses, I imagined myself having to be out there in the battlefront, reaching out to unknown people groups, to feel the most content with myself. In other words, in my imagination, I would rather choose to be a martyr shot to death by terrorists because of my profession of faith, than to be a husband who honors God by staying home to take care of my wife. I feel I need to do things to please myself and God, but Jesus says: “without me, you can do nothing.”

            I believe that Bible does commands us to work hard for the Lord, and often during the process, at some point, I start to work hard for myself under the pretext of working for hard. As soon as I drive Jesus out of the center, I will work in vain. I pray God to reveal to me the deep thoughts and intentions of my heart, and correct me to go on the path everlasting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment